A secret pal gave me the muslin foundations and several fat
for these blocks. I set the blocks on point and added machine trapunto
(my first effort at this technique!) to the center square and the
triangles. This quilt was finished in September, 2001, and measures
33" square. It was machine pieced and machine quilted.
Below is a
of some of the machine trapunto. It would have shown up better on
This is a small (14" square) piece I did in a class given by a local
guild member in January, 2006. The class was lots of fun, and I
finished the quilt in parts of two days.
I took a machine trapunto class from
Philippa Naylor at the Houston Quilt Festival in November, 2011. She
gave us several patterns to choose from, and I combined elements of a
couple to come up with this design. I used a combination of wool and
cotton/poly batting for the trapunto layer and Superior Highlights
thread for the quilting. I finished it in January, 2012, and it
measures 21" square.
I used pebbled stippling to flatten
the background behind the trapunto motifs, and I also decided to adapt
the feathers I like so much so that they resemble the hearts in the
main portion of the quilt. The color in this detail photo is much more
true to what the quilt actually looks like.