Miniature (not paper-pieced)

Mini Trip Around the World
Storm at Sea
Herringbone
Twister Illusions
Squared Spirals




Mini Trip Around the World

A good friend of mine showed me her miniature TATW, and I was very intrigued. Then she gave me the strips necessary for the center of this little piece -- all in gorgeous batiks! I just love the colors. I machine quilted sprays of feathers in lavender variegated thread all over the top and added corded piping before attaching the binding.  I finished it in October, 2009, and it measures about 21" square.



Here are a couple of close-ups of the quilting. The first is of the center, and the other is of a corner.

 


Update: I entered this quilt into our local show in 2011, and it won second place in its category! Here's a photo of it with its pretty ribbon:





Storm at Sea

I bought my first kit when I went to the Houston Quilt Festival in November, 2010. It was a laser-cut kit for a miniature Storm at Sea, done by John Flynn. I've wanted to do this design for a long time and just couldn't resist trying it this way. I think I'd normally do this pattern by paper piecing it, but this was a fun change. The pieces went together so easily because of the precision of the cutting and because the tips of the triangles had been cut off to facilitate matching. I machine quilted lavender feathers in a few of the diagonal rows, then used turquoise thread to add stylized wave patterns to the other diagonals. The outer border has larger, curlier waves, and I added corded piping between the outer border and the binding for a bit of added interest.



The center of the quilt is 14" x 17.5", and the finished quilt measures 21" x 23.5". I began working on it in late December, 2010, and finished in early January, 2011.





Herringbone
A local quilter, Christa Watson, developed a pattern for a chevron quilt that my local group wanted to make (with Christa's permission, of course). The original pattern called for 5" squares to start with, but I decided to make mine a miniature, so my blocks finished at 1.5", and I changed the layout to this herringbone design instead of the chevrons.

I did all of the free-motion quilting in straight lines to accent the design and to practice straight lines -- they're not easy to do in free motion, as you can see in the detail shot below. The border has a Greek key design, also in free-motion, and then I added my favorite piping before the binding, using four of the fabrics used in the quilt top. I finished this in just a couple of weeks in April, 2014.




Twister Illusions
In May, 2014, I was lucky enough to be able to take a quilting cruise onboard the Oasis of the Seas. Each of the at-sea days was spent in a class, and one of the classes was a Twister class taught by Marsha Bergren. Instead of making the quilt she'd proposed for the group, though, I chose to do another that had caught my eye. This one was designed by Marilyn Foreman. Her version was to be made in any size from baby quilt on up to queen-sized. However, I decided to make mine a miniature -- the first mini I've made without paper piecing. My finished quilt measures 22" x 18.5" and is entirely machine pieced and machine quilted, and I finished it in June, 2014.





I used feathers to quilt the blue and aqua motifs, but then I experimented with curved cross-hatching (another first) for the black background areas.

                            




Squared Spirals
After happening across a page showing knitted projects that illustrated math concepts and seeing that one of the knits looked like it could easily be made into a quilt using half-square triangles,  I drafted the idea into EQ7 to get the effect of pointed spirals around a central "post".



I used free-motion quilting to create softly curved horizontal lines in the white to make it recede into the background. I left the red unquilted so it would pop out a bit, and I used ruler work to echo a few times inside the almost-black shapes to give them a bit more motion.  As a contrast to all of the straight or almost-straight lines in the central quilt, I did curves, with more ruler work, in the borders and then added pearls and small groups of feathers. The texture shows up well on the back of the quilt. I made this with 1" finished squares for the top. The quilt measures about 12.5" x 15.5" and was finished in November, 2016.

                     



Home

Previous

Next