I’ve been using a tyvek tote from a quilt show as a knitting bag for the past few years. It worked okay, but lately it was tipping over if I didn’t watch how I had things arranged inside. Yes, I could have taken some of my less-used paraphernalia out, but I’m so short on storage space at this point that I simply prefer to keep my knitting supplies all in one place. So how to solve the problem of the “lazy” bag?
Then one day I saw this pattern at Quiltique, my local quilt shop. Hmmm … the metal stays in the top looked very promising in terms of keeping the bag stable and upright. I purchased the pattern and the various supplies called for in the instructions, but I had to get the zipper at Joann’s, since the quilt shop didn’t have the right kind. And then I got to work, finishing after just a few days of work, and helped by the lack of interruptions since my husband was away. 😉
There’s just one glitch, which is very disappointing. Despite having tested the zipper multiple times, both before sewing it into the bag and during construction, it has now failed. I can zip it partially closed by fiddling a lot, but it simply won’t close all the way. 🙁 Oh well. The size of the bag and its multitude of pockets work very well for my knitting! I’ll just resign myself to leaving it at least mostly open.