On this page:
First Appliquéed Quilt
Celtic Table Runner
Cabo San Lucas
My First Appliquéed Quilt
I've been intimidated by and interested in appliqué for a long time. I finally screwed up my courage and machine appliquéed this quilt in 1995. I used a pattern for most of the dogs, but I designed the Doberman myself and made other changes that would reflect the dogs I've known and loved. They are in an Attic Windows setting to give them their own spaces. The dogs are echo quilted by hand, and they have a supply of dog biscuits quilted in the borders. The pattern I used was called "Family Dogs," created by Critter Pattern Works, and the quilt is roughly 45" x 44".
I like tea, so when I saw the pattern for this quilt, I just couldn't resist! This was done using the same technique as for the dogs. That is, the pots were fused and then machine satin stitched. However, instead of hand quilting, I machine quilted this piece. It was only the second time I'd done free-motion quilting on the machine, but the quilt won a blue ribbon in the 1998 county fair. What a lovely surprise! The quilt measures 34" x 32".
And here's a detail of the center teapot:
Cabo San Lucas
This is not only appliqué;
took a class from Pam
Holland at Quilt Camp in the Pines in July, 2005,
and her technique combines machine appliqué with drawing on the
fabric with special pens to make the fabric look the way we need it to
look. The quilt is entirely machine appliquéed and quilted,
measuring 19" x 23". I finished it in September, 2005. I didn't
actually do that much quilting, since the appliqué was combined
with the quilting in the main part of the piece. The wide border is
quilted in a stylized wave pattern.
And here is the
photo that inspired the
After a machine appliqué class from Sharon Schamber, I used her technique to make this small quilt. It's a gift intended for my eye doctor, who has gone above and beyond for the past few years to get my eyes to work in a more normal fashion. The dragon on the quilt came from a pattern by Carol Bruce, and I added double corded piping between the quilt and the binding. I machine quilted the piece using a variegated thread in shades of lavender and raspberry to do feathers, small pebbles and flowing lines.
Here is a close-up shot of some of the quilting:
This quilt is the result of the class with Sharon Schamber on machine appliqué; I took it in order to be able to make the Dragonflight quilt, above. I didn't have enough fabric to make binding, so I experimented with making a facing instead, and I'm quite happy with the result. I began the quilt in July, 2008, and finished it in March, 2009. It is entirely machine appliquéed and machine quilted on my home machine, and it measures approximately 16" x 29".
Below are a couple of close-up shots of the quilting. I used lots of feathers and several different styles of stippling to make the feathers show easily.
In July, 2009, I took a class from Rose Hughes on making landscape quilts. It was a fun class, but it's not a technique I think I'll be using again; it's just not something that appealed to me. Because I wasn't that excited about it, the unfinished quilt sat around until the end of October, 2010, before I finally finished it. It was supposed to have quite a bit of beading and embroidery to embellish it, but that just wasn't going to happen. It's machine appliquéed, using yarn zigzagged around all pieces and extra stuffing under some of the saguaro arms. It's also machine quilted very simply, and I used a facing to finish it, rather than binding. This piece measures approximately 17" x 23".
My quilting buddy bought a kit from Stacy Michell. The kit included two identical images, one positive and one negative, of laser-cut Hawaiian appliqué motifs. She did one of the blocks and gave me the other to finish, and so I did. The motifs arrived with fusible already in place, so all I had to do was to fuse them to the background fabric, layer everything with my own batting and backing, and then do some machine appliqué that also became the quilting. I used blanket stitch, and it was fun to do. I didn't have anything suitable for the binding, so I used a facing instead. The piece ended up 17.5" square (it really is square, but it's hanging on a curved chair back!), and I finished it in December, 2012.
My quilt buddy, Phyl, came for a visit and to work on an adorable quilt together, each of us making our own version. Neither of us had ever planned to make a quilt using the technique of appliqué in the hoop, but then there was this set of designs .... We couldn't resist, as both of us are dog lovers. There were ten different puppies to choose from, along with some "filler" blocks, but I was hoping to make this a very narrow quilt to fit a small wall in my sewing room. Unfortunately, it didn't work that way, and the quilt now measures 23" x 27", which is just a bit too wide for that wall. Oh well. ;) The dogs and other motifs were all done with appliqué on the embroidery machine, and the paw print border is all embroidered. I free-motion quilted it, trying for a bit of variety in the background motifs.
Double-Pointed Dresden Plate
Calling this appliqué is probably correct, but it may be stretching the term a bit, too. Still, the plates were appliquéd onto the pieced background, so the term does fit. This was a pattern created by Susan Cleveland, and I really liked the double points on the plates' wedges, made easy to do with Susan's Prairie Pointer tool. The background is made from pieces of linen I'd purchased at a Houston show, and the wedges are bright batiks I had in my stash. I quilted straight lines in the background, dividing the quilt roughly into quarters and doing two of the quarters with horizontal lines and two with vertical lines. I added a few leftover plate wedges to the embroidered label on the back and used the narrow corded piping I like so much next to the binding. I finished the quilt in May, 2015, and it measures 26.5" x 24".